14.11.07

Tuesday in New York

Today I spent the day in NYC. Sarah and her roommate (Hayley, her best friend from Mass who is a doctor now, I know right!) left the apartment for work early. Hayley works at Mount Sinai hospital which is about 20 minutes walk from here. Sarah works down in Times Square so she goes by subway.
Oh my god did Sarah ever look pretty this morning. She was wearing a very slim tan skirt and a blouse, and pretty gold ballet flats. I hope she's had a good day at work!
Anyways, I had a cuppa and wrote some postcards until Sunny woke up. Sunny is Hayley's younger sister and she has been on a short visit to the city and also stayed here last night.
The two of us were sort of in the same boat, here during the day, she was planning to leave for Boston later in the day, with no plans, and I was also just bumming around.
So Sunny and I went for breakfast at the diner on the corner. I had eggs Benedict! EGGS BENEDICT!! In a diner in New York City!! We sat there shooting the shit for a while, it was nice to get to know her. She is an animator and has been working in LA for Sony (she worked on the new movie Beowulf), and now she has accepted a job in New Zealand, so she is back here in the East visiting family and seeing friends before shipping out there in January.
After breakfast we each did our own thing for a bit (I had to hit the post office and try to make some phone calls) and then rendezvous'd back here at the apartment (since Sarah had given me the copy of the key) and relaxed a bit. When I told her I was going to the Met (that's the Metropolitan Museum of Art) she decided to join me.
We walked over there, since it's only five long blocks and ten short blocks away.
Luckily we proved to be fairly compatible museum goers, since she was fine with avoiding Asian Art, and I was equally fine not seeing Egyptian and Middle Eastern Antiquities.
Man, do museums ever start to feel the same.
We saw lots of great things though. Quite a few O'Keefe's and Carvaggios and Matisses and Picassos and Vermeers.
Although . . .
the Met's map of collections was totally wrong and mislabeled. We wanted to see the Costume Institute, but it was closed. We wanted to get to Modern Art, but all the hallways were blocked and the whole museum was hard to navigate (although not as bad as the Hermitage, which I thought I would starve to death in). After we'd had our fill we trooped out through Greek and Roman Art without even looking sideways.
Then we walked back to Sarah and Hayley's apartment and she grabbed her bags and took off (not before I quickly snapped this one). I was so glad she was around today - it was good to have the company!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, the first post never worked, but as I was noticing, the pic of you and Halley make you look so Up-town, ala le Grand Pomme, so fantastic.
CMB

RL said...

Thanks, I am in fact le pomme magnifique!