The Museum of Anthropology (where my momma works) was broken into on Friday night
and some priceless art works were stolen, including golden carved jewelry by the master Bill Reid. On the news the journalist covering it for CBC said the thieves might not know the significance of the pieces and might melt them down for the gold itself. I can't imagine anyone could be so dumb as to get all the way out to UBC, locate the Museum on the edge of the world there, tucked into the bushes and bust in, make a beeline for the specific cases and not know they were stealing cultural artifacts! I mean I don't even think that's possible. It is quite sad as it is unlikely anything will be recovered, especially if they are sold to unscrupulous art collectors (of which there are many in the world).
No comments:
Post a Comment