11.9.07

MOCKBA

Here I am! I am safely using the computer in the hallway of my hostel in Moscow. It's called Napoleon Hostel, it's very friendly but hellof hard to find.

Russia is very weird, but it's new and weird and I like it. My first meal was borscht, bread and beer, which I could get used to! I'm having culture shock at everything - CHEESE! CHEESE! The grocery store is a cheese lover's paradise here. Everything is expensive, but it's tasty! It's also cold, the moment the train crossed the border into Russia it seemed to change seasons as well. It's a good thing I sent some winter clothes to Oslo because it can only get colder now!
Moscow is not an easy city to get around without the language (my Cyrillic reading is coming in handy but it's very basic), but so far I'm managing ok (by not going much of anywhere ha ha!). I tried to bravely arrange my train to St Petersburg by myself earlier today, but after two frustrating hours in the train station this afternoon, I decided, fuck it, and came back to the hostel. There are apparently agencies that can do it for me . . .
If I can't make that happen on my own, my travel buddies Park and Chris and I might go back to the train station tomorrow and get our tickets. We're all going to St Pete's on the train together.
I am pretty excited to get to Helsinki. Tom Erik and I have arranged to meet on Thursday, and for dinner that day I imagine us eating tasty Finnish sandwiches in a stylish Finnish cafe. After making out obviously. MMMM! I am dead tired from walking and have blisters so I think I'll curl up in my (surprisingly comfy) bunk until dinner time. Or until someone offers me a beer . . .

No comments: