12.8.07

Sunday Afternoon in Qingdao

I finally got to my hostel!
Mrs Lee helped me get a taxi, and the driver drove me to a youth hostel. The whole back seat of his taxi was soaking wet, and I was a little grossed out by the decrepit seat, but the wheels rolled and when he stopped I just threw money at him and jumped out. Ugh.
I got inside the hostel and looked at the sign - it was the wrong hostel.
It was the Kaiyue Hostel not the Old Observatory Hostel.
Ha ha! So the counter clerk kindly wrote the address and directions to the right one. Luckily it was only a ten-fifteen minute walk (even with my behemoth bag, which I haven't named yet but I am getting pretty friendly towards) but up 100 stairs. It is really an observatory, I mean it's right at the top of the hill! I lugged that bad girl up those stairs like a champ. A sweaty champ. There were nice friendly signs too, so I found it without too much more difficulty. And voila! They had my reservation info, so I left my baggage and went for a walk until check in time.
When I got back from my walk I had my first meal in China, dumplings and a green tea.
I met three of the residents of this eight bunk room. One is of course Korean, and the others Chinese, all of whom can speak English. We chatted for a bit, and then I came out on to the balcony here (so nice!) to just put my feet up and sit in the sun. They said there had been a terrible big bad rain storm the day before, probably why we had such rough seas crossing.
It's still very gusty out.
The view from up here is fantastic.
I walked around town earlier for about two hours, trying to figure out what to do for two days here. After I ate my dumplings and drank my tea, and I didn't really feel like doing much else!
I can see the ocean and a slice of city from up here. The hostel is in a weird (good/bad) location. It is nice and green up here, the hostel is surrounded by Guangxiang Park, which has lots of paths and people walking their dogs. The bad part is that it's way up here and there's nothing around.
Oh yeah! During my walk, I thought I was dizzy from the heat, or exhaustion or dehydration, and while I was in the restaurant waiting for my dumplings, I realized that I hadn't got my land legs yet! HA! I'm still feeling the sway, it was a rough ride after all!

No comments: