23.1.09

Pay Week

This week is pay week. It is not fun. I love getting paid, but I hate figuring out how much to pay everyone else. Mrs Choi and I (by that of course I mean Mrs Choi, who is really the brains of this operation) decided in December to collect all the fees and then pay the tutors every two weeks. Before this the collection was not centralized. It works much better this way as some families have more than one tutor, or the tutors don't keep good records, blah blah blah, there's plenty of reasons. It's a perfectly good idea, good system. I just don't want to have anything to do with it!!
I had to start using Excel. This program is not new to me, but unfamiliar. Doing the pay sheets involves putting lots of numbers in columns and adding them up and putting in rows and etc. I didn't know how, Mrs Choi showed me, and I still make lots of mistakes along the way. This week's forms didn't do the calculations properly so I had to punch them in.

In the next few months everything is going to change and we are going to rearrange ourselves. I don't want to do any business, and Mrs Choi doesn't want to do as much tutoring. Hopefully, if we can find enough good people to cover the students we have, we can both keep doing the part of the business we are good at (and that we enjoy). Finding good people is key! And probably unlikely. There just aren't enough reliable, good people available. We've both brought in people that didn't work out at all. One would-be tutor consistently spoke so quietly that I couldn't hear her, and I knew the kids couldn't either. One consistently wore sweat pants even after being asked to wear anything else. One arrived 30 minutes late for our first meeting, and then 30 minutes late to meet their first prospective student. The list goes on. The tutors we have kept are good ones, who behave professionally, show up on time, have a great rapport with the kids, know their subject matter and take time to consult with the parents. I know so many teacher people but they are all too busy or not interested in commuting out to the Koreans. Quel dommage!

So in the meantime it's Mrs Choi and I doing everything! Yay pay sheets!

1 comment:

Jes said...

If only I lived closer. I would totally commute to the Koreans!!