11.8.07

The Yellow Sea Saturday August 11

(from my travel journal)
I am on the slow rocky boat to China.
I am eating 포카칩 Poca chips and drinking a cold 카스 Cass (my last Cass?) and watching Incheon Port pass by my porthole. My perfume already leaked in my bag so I smell much nicer than I should, after carrying my pack in the sun on the hottest day so far this year.
I am sharing this 4-bunk room with a Chinese lady who speaks Korean (thank goodness, we've been speaking Korean and I'm glad for that). Dinner is after 18:00 and I'm going with Mrs Lee when she goes, since she told me to.

I feel excited, but empty too, generally kind of fucked up. I cried like a baby walking away from Nara. I went through the gate and turned back and waved to her about six times before I couldn't see her anymore.
The ship is waiting to go through the lock, to leave the port. I can see all of Incheon city, including Freedom Park and the big statue of MacArthur up there.
What will be the last thing I see of Korea? An ROK army post? A fishing boat? The islands? My can of Cass?
Two hours out and we are still passing so many islands. The sky is amazing, the sunset over the ocean is all swirly and bubbly. I love the colours.
Mrs Lee and I went up to the dining hall to eat 설농탕 seolnongtang for dinner.
She's really concerned about me, she keeps asking me what I want to see in 청도 Cheongdo (Korean for Qingdao) and where I will stay and if I need help. I said "I want to see the beach!" and she doesn't seem to think I'm in my right mind. I showed her in my Lonely Planet guide where the hostel is, and she shook her head and told me it wasn't a good area! Oh no!
Tomorrow when I wake up I'll be in China.

No comments: